Report it A-Z

Abandoned vehicles

Environment and street scene is the council division responsible for dealing with abandoned vehicles. Report an abandoned vehicle by phoning 01227 862 211 or email


To report on-going problems with drinking in public places contact Canterbury City Council on 01227 862 000. Working with the Police the council can designate an area as an alcohol control zone. If you see people drinking in a public place and acting in an anti-social manner contact Kent Police on 101. If a crime is being committed phone 999.

For alcohol sales and licensing matters phone Canterbury City Council’s licensing department on 01227 867484. Licensing officers at Kent Police are responsible for the enforcement of licensing laws, contact them on the non-emergency number 101.

Anti-social behaviour

Report anti-social behaviour to Kent Police on the non-emergency number – 101. If a crime is being committed phone 999.


For problems regarding household bins, public litter bins or dog bins contact Serco on 0800 0319091

Bogus callers

Bogus callers aim to trick or worry you into leaving your house or letting them in by making up stories.

They might pose as water, electricity or gas board workers so that they can get into your home to steal your money or property.

Always check the identity of unknown and unexpected callers. If you have any doubts then do not let them in.

If a crime is in progress, if a bogus caller is nearby, or to report a recent incident phone Kent Police on 101.

Community Wardens

Community wardens work closely with Police, local authorities and other agencies and are a useful source of information.

They raise community awareness of problems such as bogus callers preying on vulnerable people in their homes. They also address environmental issues such as fly tipping, graffiti and vandalism.

They engage with the young, elderly and vulnerable in activities such as youth clubs and sporting events, coffee mornings and advice surgeries.

Community Wardens work flexible hours between 7.30am and 10pm, Monday to Sunday, enabling them to address local problems as and when they occur within the community in which they work.

Any member of the community can contact their warden by mobile phone. To find contact details for your Community Warden visit


Canterbury City Council has a closed circuit television system to help provide a safer environment for everyone. Contact the council’s customer services centre on 01227 862000.

Criminal damage

If the damage is current or an immediate response is required phone Kent Police on 999. If there is not a crime in progress and to report a problem phone Kent Police on 101.

Dog fouling

If a dog fouls in a public place the owner can be fined up to £1,000.

Report dog fouling to Canterbury City Council on 01227 862211

Domestic abuse

If you are suffering physical, sexual, emotional or financial abuse or are being intimidated or threatened by a current or previous partner or adult family member, you are a victim of domestic abuse.

If someone is in immediate danger phone 999. To report a domestic abuse related crime phone Kent Police on the non-emergency line – 101.

For help and advice contact the Rising Sun Domestic Violence Project on 01227 452852 or Victim Support on 0845 3899527.

Drug use and drug dealing

Report drug related crime to Kent Police on the non-emergency number 101, or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0900 555 111.

Agencies who can help those who have drug addictions include KCA on 01227 454740.


To report a fire in progress phone 999. For fire safety advice phone the Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 01622 692121.


Flytipping can involve anything from a sack of rubbish to a large amount of waste. Flytipping also includes the dumping of waste such as chemical drums, asbestos, gas cylinders etc.

Canterbury City Council will arrange for dumped material to be cleared from council and public land usually within 24-48 hours of it being reported. Large scale or special waste may take longer.

The council is not able to remove flytipping on private land although they may offer advice. Report flytipping by phoning Serco on 0800 0319091.

To report flytipping in progress phone Kent Police on 999.


Graffiti is illegal. Those caught causing graffiti can be prosecuted and fined up to £5,000. Young offenders can be given a community service order.

If you know someone who is causing graffiti report it by phoning Kent Police on 101. To report graffiti in progress phone 999. To report someone anonymously phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Canterbury City Council works with its contractors Serco to remove graffiti. Report problems to Serco by phoning 0800 031 9091.

Harassment and intimidation

If an immediate response is required phone 999. To report a matter phone Kent Police on the non-emergency line phone 101.

Hate crime

Hate crime is an offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by the offender’s hatred of people are seen as being different. You can be a victim of hate crime because of your race, religion, disability, age, sexuality or gender.

In May 2011 Kent Police  launched a new hate crime reporting line – 0800 138 1624 – which is staffed 24 hours a day by specially trained non-Police staff. The number is free to call from landlines. 

If life is in danger or the crime is in progress phone 999.


Contact Canterbury City Council on 01227 862000 to arrange for litter to be taken away. Council enforcement officers can give on the spot fines to anyone caught dropping litter.


If you find discarded needles or syringes phone Serco on 0800 0319091. For out of hours emergencies phone 01227 781879.

Neighbour nuisance

Contact Canterbury City Council on 01227 862000.


If you need help or advice relating to noisy neighbours phone 01227 862202. The office is open from 8.30am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

A call out service for dealing with burglar alarms, vehicle alarms and noisy parties that are disturbing the neighbours operates at weekends. Phone 01227 781879.

If a noise nuisance is witnessed the council has the authority to serve a Noise Abatement Notice. If a person does not comply with a notice they could go to court.

Nuisance motorbikes

Report nuisance motorbikes to Kent Police on 101.


Report a parking problem to the Parking Enforcement Department at Canterbury City Council on 01227 862429.


If you think you have seen someone acting suspiciously, or if you see a vehicle, unattended package or bag which might be a threat, phone 999 or the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789321.

Unauthorised encampments

Various people live in caravans, mobile homes or vehicles on land they do not own and without the agreement of the owner. Encamping on someone’s land without their consent is unlawful.

To report a problem contact Canterbury City Council on 01227 862000.

Untaxed vehicles

Report untaxed vehicles to the DVLA by phoning 0300 7906802.


If an immediate response is required phone 999. To report a recent incident contact Kent Police on the non-emergency number 101.